The Road Less Traveled........Or So We Think

Something caught my attention about a week ago when I was getting my antibiotics at the pharmacy. A big sign said," Generic for Lexapro now available". It made me think a lot. I have been on Lexapro and found it amazing for anxiety. But for depression, not so much. I guess it works for some and not for others. I know the generic will be able to help a lot of people who could not afford it before. But it also made me think of how many people in this country, or even the world, suffer in silence every single day. They look happy to some, but inside they want to die. It is one of the many epidemics we are faced with now. The epidemic of mental illness. Some you can look at and just by their behavior and actions you can tell they are mentally ill and need help. But for a majority of others, no one would know unless they say something. The same with addiction. It is also an epidemic now. And for the most part, we choose to ignore those who are suffering. Mabey because we are scared. Or mabey because we see a little bit of ourselves in them. Mabey its because we have our own demons inside and are terrified to get help. I know all too well the depression part. And anxiety. I still deal with it daily. And it has gotten to the point where I am thinking of going on medicine temporarily just to get my serotonin levels to normal. It has been a hard year so far and I know my limits. Without going into much detail, I can't do it alone this time. I have let it get too far without seeking help. And it scares me a lot. I'm not the only one who is dealing with it. Millions are. Self-harm is also an epidemic now. I knew many people in high school who were cutting themselves. The worst part is that a lot of people knew and ignored it. That seems to be the norm nowadays. If you see an alcoholic who needs help, you ignore them. If you hear someone who makes suicide comments, you pretend you never heard it. This is what we have come to. Why? If someone doesn't want help, then obviously you can only do so much. But at least try. You never know what might happen. The person you are helping might be waiting for someone to care enough about them. Addiction, cutting, depression and anxiety, anorexia, etc are all an epidemic in our society. And even though a lot of people like to think these people who suffer are a minority, the aren't. They are a majority. And we need to do our best to help them and erase the stigma. That road is very heavily traveled. By all of us. I hope and pray for everyone who is battling something. Whether you are in recovery trying to stay on the right path, or if you are trying to get onto the right path and stay. We need to help each other if we can. The road we are on, is not meant to be traveled alone. It is meant to be traveled together. We are meant for community. We need each other. We need community. Peace be with you all. I hope I made some sense with this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crucible vs. McCarthyism: A Comparison/Contrast Essay.

The River Of Dreams