Suicide and Society

This morning I woke up to the news that director Tony Scott jumped off a bridge to his death. He was most notable for his movie Top Gun and was the brother of Ridley Scott. Whenever someone takes their life, its a tragedy. But when an older person does, it sends a message to everyone that suicide is not a generational problem. Suicide is an epidemic in this country. Its estimated that somwhere around the world, I read that a suicide happens every minute or so. And I believe it. We have come to a point where instead of being encouraged to get help, we hear people say, "Get over it" or "Just be happy".  But for someone with mental illness or someone who has suffered trauma and has depression as a result, you can't just get over it. You can't just be happy. It takes much more than that. It takes community, friendship, encouragement, therapy, and more often than not, medication. I know this all too well. I was diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety at 14. And at that point I had been wanting to kill myself since I was 11 thanks to being relentlessly bullied in school. Medication didn't work. Partly because now I've found out that the medicine I was put on, has a huge history of causing suicides. So I stopped it. And continued downhill until one day I decided I had had enough. I took a lot of ibuprofen with the intent of killing myself. Little did I know that I took enough to make me sick, but not actually die. Still, it was an attempt nontheless. I haven't attempted it since, but it does cross my mind. Especially recently this year with everything that has gone on in my life. I have days where I want to die. Then I have days where I have hope that ill become someone and live my dreams. But the main reason why I don't attempt it again, is cause I know it will hurt the people I'm closest to. I manage it and if I find myself seriously close to the edge, then I get help. But for others, they can't see that. They are so far gone that they aren't in the right mindset to know to the consequences of suicide. They have so much pain that it overwhelms their whole souls. And they feel the only way out is to be out forever. But its not. I believe suicide is preventable. I believe that if we pay attention to people that we can help them when they are too afraid to ask for help. I believe that we all can save lives. Just like with addiction prevention, the same can be done with suicide prevention. I want to link to a site that deals with both on a more in-depth way. Its TWLOHA . It stands for "To Write Love On Her Arms" if you want to learn more about suicide awareness and prevention and also addiction awareness and prevention and self-harm. They have resources, stories and ways we all can get involved. We are all in this life together. We need each other. We need to help each other. We need to save lives. Heal lives. Make lives better. I hope this helps someone out there. Have a beautiful day. God bless you all and take care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crucible vs. McCarthyism: A Comparison/Contrast Essay.

The River Of Dreams

Finding Healing and Refuge in the Catholic Church