Cuba WILL be Free

I woke up Saturday morning to my daughter waking me up letting me know she was hungry. I fixed breakfast and looked at my Facebook for a minute and saw the news. Fidel Castro was dead. For a second I thought it wasn't real. But every post on my news feed was about it. The news sank in. I felt joy, happiness and relief when I realized it was real. He really was dead. He should have died years ago. He didn't deserve to live as long as he did. I am thankful to have almost all my friends despise Castro. Some don't understand why I hate him so much since I'm not Cuban. Others just say ok and don't really care for me to explain all the atrocities that he committed against Cubans and non Cubans as well.

I have come across a few posts online praising Fidel. For the life of me I don't know how someone could do that. The crimes he committed are very well documented and I blame the media and their obsession with painting Cuba as a paradise under the Castros dictatorship. There are plenty of photos of him and his brother Raul killing innocent Cubans. Photos of firing squads. When I open my Facebook I see personal stories of my Cuban friends and their families. They had to endure torture, jail, beatings, poverty, inhumane conditions and threats on a daily basis just for wanting freedom. It angers me that people turn a blind eye to all of that and actually praise the asshole and his brother. So many have died under their communist rule. Thousands upon thousands have died in the Florida Straights trying to escape to freedom. Others have died in prisons as political prisoners. And others have died by their own hands after escaping to freedom because the pain and torture that they lived through was just too much to bear. The Cuban people suffer on a daily basis in Cuba under the Castro regime. Now one of their nightmares is finally gone.

I wish I could take part in all the celebrations in Miami. I'm celebrating in spirit with all of my Cuban friends and hoping that this is the start of Cuba's freedom. Hopefully Raul Castro will see his end soon. When that happens I know the tide will turn heavily in favor of the Cuban people. Cuba and her people will be free. When that happens, there will be no more fear, no more torture, no more tears cried at families who are separated,  no more pain. I can't wait to see a thriving Cuba when it's free. Dictatorships do not last forever and we must remain committed now more than ever for a free Cuba. It's just a matter of time now. It WILL happen. The Cuban people WILL be free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crucible vs. McCarthyism: A Comparison/Contrast Essay.

The River Of Dreams